- Insider tip no. 15: weekly open air markets in Milan.
- Insider tip no. 9: Milan bike tour rentals and bike sharing
- BikeMI – try out Milan’s city bikes for both grown-ups and kids
- Insider tip no. 2: good apps for your trip to Milan.
- Go on day trips from Milan.
- Insider tip no. 14: brunch in Milan.
- Quick guide: hotels, apartments and other places to stay in Milan.
- Take a cooking course in Milan with the Italians.
- Milan in one day – the best shopping route with a shot of culture (Brera)
- Flea Markets in Milan: Go hunting among Italian knickknacks and antiques.
- Insider tip no. 5: aperitivo in Milan.
- Good restaurants in Milan,
- Appsolutelymilano’s Instagram hashtags.
- Milan with children
- Insider tip no. 8: 360° view over Milan.
- Milan by night,
- Public transport – from the airport and round in Milan.
- Art and museums in Milan.
- Insider tip no. 3: cheap coffee, ice coffee and hot chocolate in Milan.
- ATMosfera – dinner on the tram.
- Insider tip no. 12: classic sightseeing in Milan.
- Insider tip no. 4: open WiFi Milano and public chargers for your smart devices.
- Gallery tickets for La Scala and a visit to Casa Verdi.
- New York Times: Milan is the city to visit in 2015 (and still is).
- Insider tip no. 1: beauty in Milan.
- When in Milan drink locally, DOCG wines from Lombardy.
- Shopping guide: the 6 areas in Milan.
- Insider tip no. 10: outlets near Milan.
- Buisness services in Milan.
- Insider tip no. 6: Christmas markets 2017, the L’Artigiano in Fiera fair and other Christmas events in Milan.
- Insider tip no. 7: New Year’s 2017 in Milan.
- Insider tip no. 11: do you need to get cooled down?
- Insider tip no. 13: Ferragosto (August 15th) 2017 in Milan.
Milan is a metropolis with a great number of fairs and as a consequence many hotels at all price ranges.
Find the hotels others recommend.
Websites based on users’ own experiences, where you can read what they think . Ratings are based on what they thought was good and bad. Remember that you cannot be sure of the authenticity of the reviews, neither positive nor negative – so read it all with your critical radar on.
\ The most popular ones are:Tripadvisor and Yelp.
Find the cheapest and best hotels.
Then we’ve got websites that compare prices and find the best deals for the period when you visit. Remember to check out our shopping guide to find the area you’d rather stay in.
\ The best in the this category are: Trivago, Kayak and hotels.com
Live a little more privately
If you are out for an alternative experience, you can either get a room in an apartment or rent an entire apartment. This will give you a completely different experience of Milan.
\ You must absolutely check out: Airbnb
Stay at a hostel.
There are 2 amazing hostels in the center of Milan; Ostello Bello near Duomo at 4, Via Medici (find on map) and Ostello Bello Grande just by the central station Stazione Centrale at 33, Via Roberto Lepetit (find on map),book here, remember to do it well in advance!.
You can also book via Booking.com.
Stay in the countryside.
The Agritourism Cascina Madonnina is located in beautiful surroundings outside Milan but is still so close to the city that you can go there by metro at just €2,50. The perfect solution if you’re travelling with your children.
If you are traveling anywhere this year, then Milan is the number one place to go. This is the advice of one of the world’s most respected newspapers; The New York Times, which has published a list of the 52 places in the world you ought to visit in i 2015.
You could expect that Rome Venice or Florence would be among the top cities to visit in Italy but the NY Times has included only Milan and Rome on the list. And Milan is an impressive no. 1 whereas Rome only makes a no. 48 out of a total of the total 52 that have been chosen.
Milan is expecting 20m visitors for the world’s fair EXPO 2015, where 130 countries will exhibit in over 60 pavilions and the newspaper also mentions that the EXPO themes, very suitably for Italy, are food and sustainability.
But it isn’t just EXPO that qualifies Milan as a great travel destination. The NY Times mentions the extensive works of urban restructuring that have taken place in Milan in e.g. the Darsena area and around the historical canals of the city.
The newspaper highlights Italian cuisine and mentions restaurants as U Barba and Lievito Madre and praises the upscale hotels in Milan as Mandarin Oriental Milan, which is opening next year
Obviously we were already aware of all this here at appsolutelymilano, but it sure is nice to see that such a respectable newspaper has noticed the delights of Milan.
Happy 2017 everybody and thanks for an amazing year. We will be back with updates in December 🙂
New Year’s in Milan? There’s something for everyone whether you want to celebrate the night together with the Milanese on one of the squares of the city or go clubbing.
There-s a huge free New Year’s show in Piazza Duomo (find on map) starting at 8.30 p.m. with Italian sing Annalisa followed by internationally acclaimed Mario Biondi and at midnight there are fireworks – you may not understand everything being said but the Italian New Year’s atmosphere doesn’t need any translating.
Free concert in Piazza del Cannone between the Sforza Castle and Parco Sempione (find on map) starts at 8.30 p.m., perhaps one of the most beautiful places in the city to celebrate the arrival of the new year. There will be fireworks afterwards.
These 2 squares are within walking distance from each other so if it’s cold – and it probably will be – you can circulate between them,
These arrangements end shortly after midnight after we have made a toast for the New Year together. For those who go on into the city the metro runs until 1.30 a.m. but the BikeSharing service runs all night.
Of course Milan’s hottest clubs celebrate New Year’s with and without supper. Find the list with the various arrangements here
You can also choose a package with hotel, restaurant and party here.
For ballet lovers there is a special performance of Romeo and Juliet on at 6 p.m. on December 31st at Teatro alla Scala.:Book your tickets here.
For Gospel lovers there is a gospel concert with the Angels of Harlem with supper at legendary Blue Note. Book tickets here you can also skip supper and just come for a glass of champagne and the concert – book here.